Thursday, January 23, 2014

Raw Merino... I'm a Chicken!!!

About 6 months ago... it was actually probably longer than that... I decided that I should buy some raw merino fleece... I honestly have no idea what I was thinking... 

I had never worked with a raw merino fleece before... but I have read a ton of people's horror stories about felting everything into a pile... talk about fear!!!

I ended up purchasing two pounds... and when it arrived, I opened the box... closed the box... and put it with my other fleece... I was way too chicken to try and process it...

Well, last weekend while Aaron had to work... I decided that I should just bite the bullet and give it a try... I started on the back porch... shaking out the fiber while the boys played on the porch... 

I ended up shaking out about a pound of it at first... we came inside and I went ahead and used the same ammonia/dawn mixture from all the other stuff lately... and gave it a good ol' fashioned try...

Here are the results :)

All five colors... 


Green, Purple, and Red


Magenta and Blue


I was pleasantly surprised with how all the fiber turned out... not a bit of felting... now I just have to work on getting that other pound scoured and dyed... I do love all the colors that worked out this time though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment