Monday, June 9, 2014

June Challenge - Patriotism - Traditional Update #1

Remember that Red, White, and Blue roving from about a week ago??? Well, I started spinning it this weekend, and got surprisingly more than I thought done :)

Originally this was going to be a single spun yarn... but of course I changed my mind mid way... so I had to sign up for the traditional challenge also, lol.

I would like to apologize in advance for the horrible cell phone picture/s (my battery was dyeing, so I couldn't use the flash for the first one)

Both bobbins full of singles... this is the whole roving spun up


And here is the yarn so far... I'm not sure what I think of it yet... but hopefully when its done, Ill love it :)


The fiber is 56's Domestic... which is basically a mix of different breeds from the US that are commercially made into roving... I would call this more of a medium wool... but it was super easy to spin (and fast).

Hopefully I will be able to get the yarn completely plied, washed, and hung to dry tonight... and then we will get to see how it really looks...

I also managed to get a trip into a local sheep farm this weekend (a little under 2 hours away) to pick up some fiber... and the boys got to see the sheep and goats... they also decided that they were goats and climbed all over the structures, lol.

When I got home, I washed up three of the lamb fleeces... some were from animals that passed away, way too young... 

Lamb Fleece... 


They are all super soft... but the staple length is about 1"... so it will be a little bit of a challenge to prepare... but its all a learning experience :)



No comments:

Post a Comment