Friday, February 22, 2013

Rolling Rolags???

So, what exactly are rolags??? They are basically just a roll of fiber. They can be loose or tight, but should be tight enough that when you go to draft, they dont fall apart, lol...

Since I have not made my blending board yet, I have made some rolags using my friend, Laurie's, drum carder... A blending board is just that, a board with little tines on it, so when you lay and brush the fiber on the board, it blends together :)

These three sets were all first attempts for me...


As you can tell, they are not very even... this is just because I really had no idea what I was doing, just decided that I was going to give it a try, lol...

The rolags contain just about every kind of fiber you can think of... alpaca, merino, angelina, angora, east friesian, border leicester, suri alpaca locks, nylon, and some other mystery fibers...

I started spinning the rolags on a large Turkish spindle (first time using it)...

I decided to use the rolags in a pattern, one from each color scheme until I ran out...

Hopefully I will be able to finish getting the yarn plied and washed... another post with pics to follow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment