Friday, April 17, 2015

Swamp Thing... Finally Spun!

I bought some Superwash Merino/Viscose roving about 2 years ago... and only ever dyed one chunk of it... "Swamp Thing"... and of course, I could never bring myself to sell it, lol...

"Swamp Thing" was a mix of greens and browns... with a hint of burgundy in certain spots... and I told myself that one day, I would spin it... and it has finally happened.


"Swamp Thing" - 50% Superwash Merino / 50% Viscose


At the FTWG Annual Conference, I started spinning the fiber... I decided that I would split the braid down the middle and then ply the two halves together...


1st Ply


After I finished the first ply, I made the decision that I didn't really want to just spin the other half... so I turned that half into rolags.


2nd half into rolags


Of course I didn't take a picture of the second bobbin full of yarn... but it was a much more muted yarn... without all the bright green (I'm sort of kicking myself at this point, because I love the bright green)


And I finally managed to finish getting the yarn spun... I still have to wash and set the twist... but I am pretty pleased with the outcome... Its 3.9 ounces and 400 yards (technically 410 yards... but I always round down)


The finished yarn!!!


400 yards... 3.9 ounces... Swamp Thing


This yarn took around 10 to 12 hours of spinning to complete... and its the most I have ever spun so far, in one skein of yarn :)




No comments:

Post a Comment