Monday, December 15, 2014

A Weekend in Memory of a Dear Friend

Last Friday, December 12th, I learned that I dear friend of mine had passed away... Mrs. Margaret Bair was the reason that I learned how to spin... she was a member of the Fiber Guild here and also ran the Bobbin Lace group... 

About three years ago, I was at a downtown "fair" type of thing with the boys (and family)... in the library was the Fiber Guild set up doing some demonstrations, and I remember this smiley woman spinning away on her wheel... and at that moment, I decided that I had to learn how to do it. That woman was Margaret... Although I learned to spin from YouTube and other tutorials, Margaret was always there when I had a question or needed help with anything.

I joined the bobbin lace group that met at her house once a month... and I would spend a Sunday afternoon in her dining room creating beautiful lace... There are so many things that I will remember and cherish that she taught me. 

About two months ago, I brought the boys over to see her, because her health had been going down hill... and we spent the evening talking and watching the boys play with her cat's toys... They loved seeing her as much as she loved seeing them... 

Margaret was 94 years old and passed away peacefully on her own terms... and so this weekend, I was going to spin in memory of her... my mentor, whether she knew it or not.


The dried yarn from last week... 135 yards of 3-ply (N-Ply)... I would say it is a sport/worsted weight


Skeined


Went ahead and started on another batt from Joe Cole at "What the Flock"... and I will say that I liked this one so much more... but its because of the colors... they are almost Green Bay Packers colors, but with some blue.


The Batt - 2 ounces of SW Merino/Nylon


I decided that his one needed to be spun in a gradient as well... and it was definitely the right choice!


All Spun Up


Navajo/Chain Plied


All Skeined Up... See what I mean about almost Packers colors?


Before Washing


In the soap bath... No bleeding :)


Fresh from the wash... now hanging to dry.


The skein should be dry when I get home... hopefully... and the memory of Margaret will continue to thrive in me :)







No comments:

Post a Comment